Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Return of Karn

"There is always a point in a father's life when he sees his child so far down a path that the potential to take another road is no longer a possibility.  I wonder when my creator first looked at me with jubilation and regret, seeing me unable to become anything more than what I was.  I think about that now, because I feel that way when I look upon my world." -Karn
 
In the wake of Scars of Mirrodin and Mirrodin Besieged, Magic the Gathering players are eager to get into the final set of this story block. This is one of the most exciting spoiler/speculation seasons I have experienced.  This set has already brought together major characters from multiple story lines.  In a way, Scars of Mirrodin has been the culmination of the entire history of Magic the Gathering. For me, one of the most enticing story points is the return of Karn. If you are not familiar with the character, he is a creation of Urza, arguably the most popular planeswalker of all.  Karn exists as the heart and conscience amongst a group of immortal and all powerful beings.  His history is as storied and epic as his creator's and the Scars of Mirrodin story block has seen his fall and corruption.  In the upcoming third and final set in this block, many hold their breathe as they wait for Karn to liberate himself from the hold of the Phyrexian praetors.  The quote at the start of this post leads me to believe he will succeed in doing so, but long past the hour of need.  I imagine his return will be bittersweet as we regain one of the most interesting characters Wizards of the Coast has offered us, but they will return him with a broken heart.  Hopefully, Karn will survive the potential fall of Mirrodin to it's invaders.  This block rocks the continuity of the entire Magic the Gathering Universe as it returns many well-loved story characters as well as the game's most evil villains. 

Play out the war between the Mirrans and the Phyrexians today with cards from Scars of Mirrodin and Mirrodin Besieged today and decide the future of an entire world.  Whether you choose to support the Phyrexians or the Mirrans, one thing is for sure, you can't afford to miss out on the conclusion of the Scars of Mirrodin block. 
Check out our Facebook page to see more artwork from the upcoming set.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laughing-Ogre-Comics-Fairfax/117513391618275
- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment